Study shows people are not ready to let Windows 7 go

0
7
Windows 7 will stop receiving official support from Microsoft as of Januar 2020, which will most likely leave a large number of devices without security patches.

Windows 7 will stop receiving official support from Microsoft as of Januar 2020, which will most likely leave a large number of devices without security patches.

According to research undertaken by Kollective, 96 per cent of businesses have begun to switch to Windows 10 but others may not be able to complete this till the deadline due to certain aspects that can hinder the pace of the process, such as the compatibility issues they may face.

The company said that 99 per cent of the software running on Windows 7 is expected to support Windows 10 completely and help will be provided for the rest of 1 per cent.

Read More: YouTube to ban ‘hateful,’ ‘supremacist’ videos

The study also highlights how 79 per cent of the businesses intended on waiting for Microsoft to release updates and only then will they install them. Doubts about update reliability may be behind this, given that some are afraid that botched patches could be troublesome for their internal activities.

53 per cent of the respondents also indicated that they wait at least a month before installing updates, though these often include serious security patches.

This is another downside of switching to a new Windows approach, as Kollective says.

“This new ‘Windows as a Service’ model will come with a unique set of challenges. Monthly quality updates or bug fixes will normally be under 1GB; whereas bi-yearly feature updates can be up to 5GB. Due to the increased frequency and size of these updates, IT teams will have limited time for testing and distribution,” it says in the study.

Customer support for Windows 7 will still be available after January 2020, but it will get more costly every year. Organizations will have to pay $50 per Windows 7 device in the first year after EOL and then double that in the next year.

This article originally appeared on Softpedia News.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.